General questions about the board

• Yes, but english is spoken in a lot of countries, we can't display all those flags and the Union Jack is usually the first choice.

• Zitat

Original von American40
    Well, I haven't been speaking English, I've been speaking American...

:D

:grübel: you got your own language? that´s new for me.. :D

• Zitat

Original von gretzky

:grübel: you got your own language? that´s new for me.. :D

Germans normally don't recognize a difference between English and American...it's all the same for us ;)

• :nein: The slang is different. sometimes it´s hard to understand some amerikan. if they try to speak without slang, it´s no prob 4 me. got many contacts with players from the states and england. english sounds harder for me and they sometimes have a boring slang. ;)

• A friend of mine once told me that he can't understand american english in films.l If he watches an american movie in english, he doesn't understand anything. British movies he does understand though. Quite weird, I don't really believe him. I think he just said that so he doesn't have to watch my uncut movies with me. :kichern:

• ok, back 2 topic:
    This section could be a good place for fans from other foreign countries to write something to "their" players.
    Not only for Mathis and Cherundolo - i think -for example -there are more Fans in Serbia speaking english than german.
    So they can discuss Topics "like Svitlica joins Krupi's Team" or something like that. Or some Abel Xavier- Fans of his homecountry... :daumen:

So it's an english speaking thread (with the Union Jack as sign)

• Hehe, an attempted humorous thread morphs into a slang discussion.

I love the internet. :p Just to let you know, I have no problem with whatever icon you use, I just went for a little humor. I know, I know, VERY little!

• Zitat

Original von American40
    Hehe, an attempted humorous thread morphs into a slang discussion.

I love the internet. :p Just to let you know, I have no problem with whatever icon you use, I just went for a little humor. I know, I know, VERY little!

It was a great side discussion! But I must get frightfully pedantic for just a sec:
    :besserwisser:
    British and American English are merely variants of the same language (just as Australian, South African, and educated Indian are). Sure, there are differences in accents, in some spellings, and of course in slang. Just ask any northern German how well he understands farmers from Upper Bavaria! Even in the relatively young US there are marked regional differences. So! The language is there for communication: if we make ourselves understood, it has served its purpose.

Thanks and back to soccer!

• Um,
    futbol, voetbol, calcio, fotbal, futball, you pick your term...
    the question remains: are you merely communicating, or are you beating a dead horse?! :kopf:

• :rofl: That one needed some seconds to :idee:

Wow first time I used Smileys because I didn't know the right phrase.

• Zitat

Original von Ami96er
    farmers from Upper Bavaria!

:rofl:
    sorry, but for the term "farmer" is (for me) taken by the image of an real american farmer (with his ranch in texas). You're right- but reading the term "farmers" in use for bavarian "Bauer"feels very unusually. :rofl:

ok - better back to topic :kichern:

please invite more Fans in american forums to this comfortably place..

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von WILL(y) ()

• Zitat

Original von WILL(y)
    sorry, but for the term "farmer" is (for me) taken by the image of an real american farmer (with his ranch in texas).

That's a rancher, isn't it?