End of season review 2003/2004

• so let´s have an end of term reportwhat do you think of the squad??Idrissou, fast, good header of the ball,never really convinces, only effective when playing in an attacking role and running in at the far post, otherwise ineffective and too unconventional.

Cherundolo. started well with the reds and sometimes starts games well but is quick to lose his confidence. Hé´s good at going forward but if after two crosses go wrong he stops going forward.

Mathis. Huffs & puffs but doesn´t really blow the house down, had a couple of long distance efforts, but I question if he really has the vision or movement needed.(ahhh I still miss Simak with all his faults)

Bdaric. Sometimes his movement off the ball is superb, unfortunately all too often the right ball either comes too late or is none existent from the midfield. His work rate is admirable, but i think he would profit from another forward to play off. He is a mardy cunt though!

If you lie on the floor you get walked on(would like to put one of those crazy icon irritating smiley bastard things here, but being an island monkey it´s beyond me)

• I was wondering why Mathis went home this week, okay the international... but do you think that's the reason? Perhaps he is suffering from homesickness. What do you think about that?? Germany is quite different to America...

It's said that Cherundolo is on holiday but Mathis is at home...
    That keeps me a bit thoughtful...

• Funny that. I was thinking the exact thing for the last couple of weeks. He´s playing as though his hearts not in it anymore, my thoughts have been
    1/ It´s along hard season and he´s tired.
    2/The fitness level required for the BL is a lot higher than the US, although he seems fit enough
    3/He isn´t really happy in Germany- it is difficult for Americans to settle, or to get used to life here, especially in northern Germany.
    4/Maybe, like many footballers who play abroad, he realises or thinks that he is being forgotten at home. Therefore his chances of playing in the national team have reduced.

So what do you think? Will he be around come August???

• I still find it very difficult to make up my mind about Mathis.
    Sometimes, especially in his first matches, he indeed "blew the house down", e.g. with his tremendous run against Leverkusen's Nowotny leading to the 1-0, a goal worth a striker of international class, and in my opinion the strongest action by a 96 player this season.
    On the other hand, there were matches in which he was nearly invisible, by moments seemed to resign, highlighted by his corner in Moenchengladbach which didn't find Stendel standing five meters away but directly went out (?!).
    In my opinion, he has sufficient skills to make it in the Bundesliga - but i am not sure whether he is able to show them regularly.

• Maybe some of our American friends can throw a bit of light on the subject.
    Have any of you heard/read anything on how Mthis fells about his move to H.

• Zitat

Original von desred
    Maybe some of our American friends can throw a bit of light on the subject.
    Have any of you heard/read anything on how Mthis fells about his move to H.

I can shed no light. You know everything I do. Mathis has always been an enigma. He gives flash's of extraordinary ability. Then has phases where he appears disinterested. Appears is the key word. Noone really knows. My guess is that he plays with a feel for the game and does not do well in a structered environment. I am sure he loved playing for Rangnick. Lienen was no fun. I am sure that Mathis feels he was not utilized properly by Lienen.

• Things could be easier for Mathis. He's playing right wing/midfield, which he hasn't played before. And he has to get acustomed to the Bundesliga.

He also seems to have lost some of his 'magic', missing on balls on which he surely would have scored in the beginning. But that'll come back if he keeps working.

If we can't keep Brdaric, i think it would be worth a try letting him play forward. That position would probably suit him better. But i consider that unlikely to happen, since Lienen seems interested in Wallner, another forward.

• Zitat

Original von ExilRoter
    Things could be easier for Mathis. He's playing right wing/midfield, which he hasn't played before. And he has to get acustomed to the Bundesliga.

He also seems to have lost some of his 'magic', missing on balls on which he surely would have scored in the beginning. But that'll come back if he keeps working.

If we can't keep Brdaric, i think it would be worth a try letting him play forward. That position would probably suit him better. But i consider that unlikely to happen, since Lienen seems interested in Wallner, another forward.

Forward would be good for Mathis. It is a position that allows him to play instinctively.

• Well, the question was how we're rating the squad at the moment.

I would approve to most statements of the previous posters. To mention some players who have been neglected so far:

Mertesacker is a traditional German type of central-back. Keeps it simple, but very hard-working, solid and reliable. And his basketball size gives him an advantage at headers.

De Guzman has played on many different positions so far. His superb technique, his running ability and his fighting spirit make him useful both as as a defender - on the left as well as the right wing - and a midfielder. Good dribbler and accurate passer, although rarely inventive. Unfortunately, he sometimes gets a little confused, resulting in bad giveaways, occasionally unnecessarily slows down the game, too often tackles from behind and tends to misjudge high balls. Nevertheless, he is one of our most skillful, versatile and valuable footballers.

------------------------------to be continued-----------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Halfarsen ()

• i think mathis doesn't feel to fit right in. he actually seems not feeling too comfortable in hannover. it was kinda hipe when he signed, like everybody in hannover was so excited of him playin here and the u.s. was proud that one more american player signed in europe.
    the hipe broke down after 3 or 4 matches, so maybe that's a reason, he went back to reality and got a clue that germany isn't the u.s. and bundesliga is much harder than mls.
    probably cherundolo tells bad jokes all day or wants him, like a woman wants a man. :anmachen:
    i was a bit confused, that he went into cabin, while all players went to the fans after the match vs. golfsburg, but anyway, mathis seems to be a quite cool boy and i, like most of the scene, really likes him. i hope that he's getting used to live here, to the style of bundeliga and that he maybe will enjoy playin in hannover, someday.